What are the treatments available for kidney inflation?

Q. Is surgery necessary to treat kidney inflation?

Answered by
Dr. Karthik Rajan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2023

Hi doctor,

My son is suffering from left kidney inflation. The doctor instructed us to have a follow up with abdomen and pelvic ultrasonography. When my son was 9 months old, his left kidney got enlarged measuring 2.6 inches. We visited another doctor who instructed us to keep following up with an abdomen and pelvis ultrasonography for six months. When my son was 1.5 years old, the report showed ballooned left renal pelvis with 30 mm in the maximum dimension, associated with mild calyceal dilatation and a 3.5 mm in the left lower calyceal stone was detected, an average caliber of the left ureter suggestive of left PUJ obstruction. But clinically, both the kidneys were of average size and shape. When my son was 1 year and 8 months old, we took a renal isotopic scan. I have attached the report. My son is not having pain. I do not think that this is a severe condition to undergo a surgical operation. Now my question is whether my son is still suffering from inflation of the left kidney or not? If yes, is it possible to get cured by medicine or it needs surgery? What is the calyceal stone, and is it harmful to my son? Is there any treatment by medicine or it must be cured by surgery? The doctor whom I follow told that my son needs to undergo a surgical operation to widen the ureter. Is it true? Should he need surgery?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your son has an obstruction in the left kidney which has led them to become inflated. It is a birth defect, and it usually does not show symptoms. It has been detected early in your son before it gets started affecting the functions of the kidney. I would suggest you consult your urologist. Your son needs surgery on the left kidney to widen the ureter. When it is done earlier, less will be the damage to the kidney. The calyceal stone is also a result of the obstructed urine flow and should be taken care of during surgery. There is no medical treatment for this condition. It has to be corrected by the operation only.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will kidney infection cause back pain?

.. terrible pain might be caused by both herniated disc and urinary tract problems such as kidney stones, urinary tract infection, etc. Have you done any tests or examinations in the ER (emergency room)?   Read full

Is surgery necessary to treat kidney inflation?

When my son was 15 years old, the report showed ballooned left renal pelvis with 30 mm in the maximum dimension, associated with mild calyceal dilatation and a 35 mm in the left lower calyceal stone was detected, an average c   Read full

Is surgery necessary for grade 3 dislocation of ACL?

.. clearly acromioclavicular joint injury (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two ligaments which basically keep our ACL joint in position. In type 3 injuries, both ligaments are torn.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.