Q. Due to depression, I am unable to sleep during night. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I am facing some depression issues and not able to sleep during the night. After two or three hours I can sleep. During this time, I not able to control myself and crying like anything. Sometimes it is making me so crazy and angry as well. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

How long have you been experiencing these symptoms like poor sleep, excessive crying, feeling angry, etc? Did they start after any stressful event?

I can understand it can be difficult having these symptoms but with the right support you will get better. It looks like your poor sleep is related to your emotional disturbance. Helping you calm down will improve your sleep and overall emotional wellbeing. Share your feelings and thoughts with trusted family and friends. Talking to a trusted family member or friend can lower stress significantly.

Exercise regularly as it is the best mood regulator. Even a brisk walk of 15 -20 minutes daily will restore your spirit and help to sleep better. Try relaxation activities like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation daily. Be kind towards yourself. Treat yourself like how you will treat a friend who is going through a difficult time. Avoid watching TV, electronic screens before bed time. It will worsen your sleep.

If your depression issues are severe and persistent, consult a doctor for further assessment. Counseling therapy and sometimes medication may be needed.

| 

Is Prevagen a recommended safe brain booster?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if the Prevagen or Prevagen extra strength pills are safe. I heard that the FDA issued a warning but am not sure if it is true or not. I am in my mid-20s, male with no medical conditions. I sometimes feel mentally tired because of work and responsibilities. I beli...  Read Full »

What are the causes of stroke and how to prevent it?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the causes of stroke and its prevention. What are some of the causes of stroke? What are some signs and symptoms? How can you prevent a stroke? Could a lack of sleep or stress cause a stroke? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article