Q. My 9-month-old daughter has a lazy eye. Kindly suggest treatment options.

Dr. Hussein Ayoub

My 9-month-old daughter has lazy eye issue. She opened her right eye one week after her birth, and delivery was normal without any complication. Her birth weight is 2.4 kg, and her current weight is 8 kg. Her height is 2 feet. Could you suggest any remedy or treatment for her?

#

Well, my first question is, how did you know that she has a lazy eye? Was she examined before by an ophthalmologist?

I can see her upper lid falling on the visual axis, that might be a problem, but we do not usually interfere unless it is complete ptosis, a condition in which her upper lids fall completely that she cannot see.

A lazy eye is a condition that can be treated until the age of 15. So do not worry. Most important is a follow-up with a good ophthalmologist. This cannot be done online.

I advise you to go check up with an ophthalmologist. We need to see her refraction. Also, we need to check her ptosis. I can see it from your picture. Check with an ophthalmologist and get back to me if you need any help.

There is no refraction in that eye. Only one eyelid is not opening fully. Do we have any treatment at this stage? Or will we have to wait for her to grow older?

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can see that the right eye eyelid is not the same as the left. That is a condition called ptosis. If it is partially falling, we will not interfere unless there is a big error of refraction. That is why I was saying we need to know the refraction. This is usually done under general anesthesia in a hospital. Ptosis will cause a lazy eye.

Uncorrected big errors of refraction will cause lazy eye. If it is partial ptosis, we correct it surgically at the age of 2. If complete, we correct it immediately.

As I said, for now, we need to know the exact refraction in both eyes and need to check up with an Ophthalmologist to correct any problem as early as possible.

|