Q. My 9-month-old daughter has a lazy eye. Kindly suggest treatment options.

Answered by
Dr. Hussein Mohamed Sherif Ahmed Ayoub
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2020

Hello doctor,

My 9-month-old daughter has lazy eye issue. She opened her right eye one week after her birth, and delivery was normal without any complication. Her birth weight is 2.4 kg, and her current weight is 8 kg. Her height is 2 feet. Could you suggest any remedy or treatment for her?



Welcome to

Well, my first question is, how did you know that she has a lazy eye? Was she examined before by an ophthalmologist?

I can see her upper lid falling on the visual axis, that might be a problem, but we do not usually interfere unless it is complete ptosis, a condition in which her upper lids fall completely that she cannot see.

A lazy eye is a condition that can be treated until the age of 15. So do not worry. Most important is a follow-up with a good ophthalmologist. This cannot be done online.

I advise you to go check up with an ophthalmologist. We need to see her refraction. Also, we need to check her ptosis. I can see it from your picture. Check with an ophthalmologist and get back to me if you need any help.

Thank you doctor,

There is no refraction in that eye. Only one eyelid is not opening fully. Do we have any treatment at this stage? Or will we have to wait for her to grow older?



Welcome back to

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can see that the right eye eyelid is not the same as the left. That is a condition called ptosis. If it is partially falling, we will not interfere unless there is a big error of refraction. That is why I was saying we need to know the refraction. This is usually done under general anesthesia in a hospital. Ptosis will cause a lazy eye.

Uncorrected big errors of refraction will cause lazy eye. If it is partial ptosis, we correct it surgically at the age of 2. If complete, we correct it immediately.

As I said, for now, we need to know the exact refraction in both eyes and need to check up with an Ophthalmologist to correct any problem as early as possible.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How will the doctor identify my lazy eye vision percentage?

.. many methods to check vision, according to the age of the patient. It is different for preverbal or verbal children and for adults. Many types of vision charts available. Snellen chart is one of them. There are ETDRS chart early treatment for...   Read full

My eyelids seem to droop when I am relaxed. Could it be ptosis?

.. reviewed your photos very carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no significant ptosis in your eyes. Recently acquired ptosis, which worsens with efforts, is suggestive of myasthenia gravis. I would recommend you to c...   Read full

How to correct my 8 months old daughter's squint?

.. need to check if the squint is a true squint or pseudo squint. If it is a true squint then, the first step is cycloplegic refraction. We will instill Atropine ointment for three days, and then we will check if any glasses are required or not. If t...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»
Fallopian Tubes - Anatomy, Function, and Diseases Affecting It
Fallopian tubes are important structures of the female reproductive tract. This article discusses the same below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.