Q. Can minor soccer accident lead to knee dislocation or ligament tear?

Dr. Vivek Chail

My wife recently got an MRI of her left knee after a soccer accident. We want someone to take a look and let us know if they are any ligament damage or anything concerning. Last year she dislocated her patella on the same leg, and we are worried it is worse this time but would like a professional opinion. The scan is attached for your reference. The injury occurred a little over a week ago. The patient has been icing regularly but cannot put total weight on the left leg. About a year ago patient dislocated her patella on the same knee. We had an MRI, which showed no apparent ligament damage.

#

Thank you for writing to us. I hope your wife is not in much pain.

I have reviewed the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) knee scan images (cine mode) (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and the following is my interpretation.

MRI Left Knee scan:

1) Moderate knee joint effusion and fluid in the suprapatellar pouch.

2) Mild bone contusion in the tibial plateau's intercondylar tubercle and posterior-lateral part.

3) Grade I signal changes in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. The lateral meniscus is normal.

4) Medial and lateral collateral ligaments are normal.

5) A likely high-grade tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The posterior cruciate ligament is normal.

6) Femoral condyles and the upper end of the fibula are normal.

7) No evidence of loose bodies.

8) Strain in the posterior part of the medial patellar retinaculum.

9) Normal patella alignment is seen.

10) The extensor tendons, including the quadriceps and patellar tendons, are normal.

11) The proximal tibiofibular joint is normal.

12) Muscles surrounding the knee joint are normal.

13) Mild subcutaneous soft tissue contusion in the anterior part of the knee.

14) Vessels and nerves in the popliteal fossae are normal.

I hope I interpreted your wife's MRI as per your wish.

Thank you so much, doctor for this thorough reading.

Sounds like surgery on her knee for the ACL is necessary. If that is the case, can you help us with the next steps of scheduling with a surgeon? We are unsure how the process works, so just trying to understand what our next steps are. Thank you again.

#

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

I am sorry about not knowing the way things work with consulting a surgeon in your country. Hope she recovers quickly. However, with the limited knowledge that I have about consulting, it might help to schedule an early appointment with an orthopedic surgeon as per guidelines and policies offered by your insurance provider. As we know any surgical procedure is expensive, therefore it will help to plan and choose the surgeon you are visiting based on your insurance rates. At the same time, location and credentials of the hospital are important. Wish I could help you in a better way than by just providing a few points, which you might already be aware of.

|