Q. Can dehydration result in dizzy feel and lightheadedness?

Answered by
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 23 years old. For about four weeks, I have been experiencing lightheadedness. It happens a few times each week. I never pass out, but I get very hot and feel like I might pass out. I have also not had an appetite. I have lost about 5 pounds from not being hungry. I went to the doctor and he said that I was very dehydrated. I drink water throughout the day, but began to drink even more now hoping my symptoms would go away. One week later, I am still having the same problem. When I am out for a run, I often have to stop because I feel very dizzy. When I eat, I often have an upset stomach and have loose bowel movement. After eating, I feel very nauseous. Should I try to make another appointment with my doctor or wait to see if my symptoms improve?

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You are too young to have high blood pressure.

There could be many reasons for dizziness. The most important one is being orthostatic hypotension if you are on a blood pressure (BP) medication.

Others could be thyroid disorder, anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency and diabetes.

If all the work up are negative; it could be problems related to inner ear like benign positional vertigo or Meniere's disease.

You should be investigated for secondary causes of hypertension. Remember the BP goal has been changed to more than 140/90 mmHg if you have no other medical conditions other than hypertension.

Consult your PCP (primary care physician) or endocrinologist for secondary hypertension. If all investigations and BP are fine then consult an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist.

Investigations to be done:

CBC (complete blood count), TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel), angiotensin or renin activity, morning AM cortisol level, VMA (vanillylmandelic acid) in the urine or metanephrines.

Treatment plan:

1. Consider reducing the dose of antihypertensive medication.
2. Use Meclizine on as needed basis. Please do not drive while taking it.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I get dizziness when I look up or get up. What is causing this?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been getting bouts of confusion, dizziness (when looking up and sometimes when getting up), headaches, pulses, and pressure in my head and what I can only explain as brain fog (during these episodes, I find that my problem solving and my cognitive function is diminished). The epi...  Read Full »

Do You Have Low Blood Pressure? Do Not Ignore.

Article Overview: People are much well aware of high blood pressure than low blood pressure or hypotension. So, my intention will be to keep this topic as much as informative and simple for a better understanding of hypotension. Read Article

Dr. Shardendu Tomar

Normal blood pressure should be 120/80 mmHg. Also, blood pressure which is lower than this and not accompanied by any symptoms should be considered as normal. Hypotension or Low Blood Pressure: If a person experiences any symptom with blood pressure below than normal, then it is known as hypoten...  Read Article

I am suffering from dizziness and headache. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old. I am suffering from dizziness and headache. There is some fluid sensation in my inner head. I have seen a neuro doctor and they said there is nothing to worry. But, there is a fluid leakage sensation which is quite disturbing. I would like to take an MRI. Kindly ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.