Q. I am having white patches and lines on my oral mucosa. Is it linea alba or leukoplakia?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I am having white patches and lines on the oral mucosa under the tongue with no other symptoms. And I smoke for three years. It was diagnosed as leukoplakia by a doctor, while another doctor said it to be linea alba. I am taking antioxidant mouthwash and multivitamin tablets.

Kindly help.

#

I went through your query and also viewed the attached images (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

I understand your concern, and I will help you to resolve the issue once and for all.

Kindly answer me the following to help you better;

1) Did you have the habit of taking tobacco products of any kind?

2) Does the affected area give any burning sensation upon eating food?

3) Do you clean your tongue with a tongue scraper or with a toothbrush?

Depending upon your reply, I will give you my diagnosis and help you determine the diagnosis.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

1) Yes, I smoke for the past three years and quit a week ago.

2) No sensation as such.

3) Toothbrush like regular brushing.

Two dentists (online) have said it is leukoplakia. I visited an oncologist in person, and he said it is linea alba.

We went to an ENT in person who did not check it thoroughly. The oncologist checked it properly and said this is not leukoplakia.

I am confused by different diagnoses. Does leukoplakia look like this?

Would you please let me know?

Thanks.

#

Oncologist has nothing to do with this issue as linea alba is a white line that runs parallel to the line of occlusion. It occurs due to friction of teeth with the soft tissue.

Since your tooth looks a little sharp and the white line is at the level of occlusion with no irritation such as burning sensation, the diagnosis favors being linea alba. It stays harmless. The white spots on the back of the tongue and cheek area are due to cheek bites. So, I suggest you visit a dentist and get the sharp edges grinded. It is best that you have already quit smoking. I would suggest you add tomatoes and carrots to your diet. And apply Rexidine-M Forte gel (Lidocaine, Chlorhexidine gluconate, Metronidazole) on the white spots in your cheek after getting the sharp tooth ground.

Continue the mouthwash and multivitamin for one month.

I hope it was helpful.

|