Q. What could be the cause of lower back pain in an older adult with cardiac issues?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

My 80-year-old father has been diabetic for the past 30 years and hypertensive for the past five years. He had a stroke 15 years ago, underwent cardiac surgery seven years ago, and took treatment for non-Hodgins lymphoma 11 years ago. He has been experiencing lower back pain on the left side for the past four days while getting up and walking. We went to an orthopedician, and they have suggested taking tablet Chymoral-AP twice daily for one week and capsule Myoril 4 mg thrice daily for one week. I have attached his latest reports of ECG and ECHO.

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through all the reports you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity) and found ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography normal. The kidney function is slightly deranged, and the rest of the reports are fine. Pain is more likely to be muscular. So, continue taking painkillers and muscle relaxants. There is nothing wrong with the cardiac point of view.

If pain is very severe, then take an x-ray of the region to rule out the cause.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the elevated BUN a cause of worry? This is the first time it has come high, and his creatinine is fine.

Could it be due to the painkillers?

Please advise.

#

Do not worry. Kindly drink more water and repeat the test after two months. It would help to keep his blood pressure and sugar levels under control.

Tale care.

|