Q. I am 82 years, and my pulse was 54 a couple of nights ago. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

I am an 82-year-old man and noticed that my pulse was 54 late a couple of nights ago. I recorded it yesterday throughout the beginning with 8 am and ending at 10:15 pm. The pulse was 58, 60, 80, 78, 69, and 54. The 80 was after hiking 2.5 miles. I am concerned about the low of 54. I am currently on Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide 325 mg/25 mg and Amiloride 5 mg, each one per day.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I understand your concern about your health. Please do not be worried as it is nothing.

It is perfectly normal to have a slightly low pulse as you age. It is a physiological change that occurs with aging perhaps 54 beats per minute can not be said to be too low. A normal pulse is between 60 to 90 beats per minute. This range differs with people. Age, body size, and activity level are some of the reasons for the variation.

I advise you to continue your normal daily routine without worry. You can become concerned if it becomes lower as much as 40 and you experience symptoms like shortness of breath or faintness. Remain healthy. Best regards.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I get high pulse rate without breathlessness after a brisk walk. Am I safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old male, obese, non-smoking, non-alcoholic, non-diabetic. My lipids and blood pressure are controlled with Rosuvastatin 5 mg and Olmesartan 20 mg. My query is that I walk regularly brisk and my pulse goes up to 145 and 150 without any breathlessness and recovery is also...  Read Full »

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »

Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 57 years old female. I am doing my annual health check-up for last three years. Below are some variation in my report this year, with respect to normal range. Could you please share your advice regarding this:E.C.G - Sinus Bradycardia (except this normal study. Same is there in the re...  Read Full »