Q. Can there be no menses when anemic?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Feb 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2019

I am a 40 year old woman. I had hysterectomy 4 years back.  Now, I have no periods or blood loss of any measure. I am having balanced diet with plenty of meat and kale chips. Since 3 months, I have started taking raw food and prenatal vitamins because of cracks in mouth that would not heal and it seemed like hair was falling out. After over a year of severe insomnia, exhaustion, mouth sores, constant itchiness and RLS issues that made my husband wonder, I went to my doctor last week wondering if it could be hypothyroid. As I have not had periods since 4 years, I did not suspect any anemia. Doctor has done two CBC's. The second one had even lower hemoglobin and hemotocrit levels. My last CBC that was taken 4 years back showed a hb of 14.4 but vitamin B12 results were within normal range. I am attaching all my reports for your reference. Please guide.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:The low hemoglobin at present is not due to blood loss, it is nutritional. If you look at the iron studies, the iron levels are very low, indicating inadequate iron in body. They can be possibly secondary to reduced intake and may be a cause of malabsorption.

As the other vitamin levels are normal, it is more likely reduced iron intake or absorption. The reticulocyte count would increase in case of anemia, if the nutrition too improved. It is staying within the normal range. If you start iron supplements along with vitamin C (for better absorption of iron), you will find your reticulocyte count increasing within 2 weeks.

There is no hemolysis or hemorrhage, as in both conditions, if nutrition was adequate, the reticulocyte count would have also increased. At present, all studies including red blood cell volume distribution (RDW), mean corpuscular volume (MCV), mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH) and mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) are iron studies that are pointing towards iron deficiency. Good to know your thyroid profile is good.

Insomnia and exhaustion can be easily explained by anemia. Also improve the hydration (take at least 5-6 liters of water per day). Avoid coffee or tea along with food, as it inhibits iron absorption. Adding citrus fruits or vitamin C rich diet during food intake improves iron absorption.

At present, nothing to worry except iron deficiency. Supplements of iron with iron fortified food and iron-rich diet should help. Also, take vitamin B-complex supplements, as early changes like ovalocytes are also seen in blood. Both iron and vitamin B-complex supplements to be taken, and within two months, you will return to your normal self.

Repeat the reticulocyte count after 15 days to check if it is increasing.

1. Both iron and vitamin B-complex supplements to be taken.
2. Most importantly iron-rich foods to be taken along with vitamin C supplements.

1. Iron-rich diet, iron fortified foods.
2. Balanced diet and good hydration.

Can vitamin C induce periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have...  Read Full »

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full »

What can cause the stool to float and change color?

Query: Hello doctor, About 18 months ago, my stomach distended, and my stool turned from brown to light brown and eventually yellow. After that, I started to lose weight at a rapid rate, 40 lbs in 15 months. I was given multiple blood tests, an upper endoscopy, and abdominal ultrasounds. The only thing of...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now