Q. I am pregnant and my Hb is 8. 7. Should I receive blood to improve it?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
Published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 32 weeks pregnant. This is my second pregnancy and I delivered my first child through C-section. I have low Hb content. As per my blood report done before a month, my Hb was 5.2 g/dL. After a couple of days, I was given two bottles of blood through an IV and started to have iron enriched foods and vitamin C added fruits. A week later, I had my blood test done. My Hb was 7.4 g/dL and electrophoresis was normal. Now, after a month, my Hb level is increased to 8.7 g/dL. Should I receive another bottle of blood to increase my hemoglobin further?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hemoglobin (Hb) less than 10 g/dL during pregnancy is unfavorable.

Blood transfusion should be done when Hb levels are less than 7 g/dL, so you do not need a blood transfusion now. You have to check your Hb till it reaches at least 10.

The rate of increase in Hb is same either iron orally taken or through blood transfusion if provided iron gets absorbed from gut properly. Your rate of increase in Hb level is also good.

I suggest you investigate the cause of anemia. You must get a serum vitamin B12 level done along with the stool examination for ova cyst as these may also be causing anemia along with iron deficiency.

I advise you to have a high protein diet, iron enriched food and oral Iron supplements.

1. Iron deficiency anemia.
2. Macrocytic anemia.
3. Worm infestation.

Hb levels every two weeks, serum B12 levels and stool examination for ova cyst and iron studies.

Gestational anemia.

Oral Iron and vitamin C supplementation. Mebendazole and vitamin B12 supplementation if required. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with reports after 15 days to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

Amla - a Treasure of Vitamin C

Article Overview: Amla is the one of the most important medicinal plants in the traditional system of medicine. It contains the highest amount of vitamin C and has other nutrients as well. I have discussed the health benefits of amla in this article. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

The wonder fruit amla (Indian gooseberry) is highly valued by nutritionists and practitioners of indigenous medicine. This is scientifically known as Emblica officinalis or Phyllanthus emblica.  Amla has been held in high esteem in indigenous medicine. It is acidic, diuretic and laxa...  Read Article

Why does my baby poop frequently with gas?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1-month-old daughter. For the past two days, she passes the poop with more gas. I am breastfeeding her (no top milk). She has developed a rash over her genital area. Can you suggest something for her gas problem and frequently pooping with gas? I think pooping frequently causes ...  Read Full »