Q. Why is my platelet count high and Hb percentage low?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My platelet count is higher 5,01,000 and my Hb is 9.2 gm %. I am very sick. What is the reason and is there any big problem in future? My age is 33 years and I am a female.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It does not appear to be a matter of worry. You may have symptoms like easy fatigue, shortness of breath and palpitations, due to low hemoglobin. Do you have any symptoms other than what I mentioned above? Do you have a fever, weight loss, etc? Likely cause for the changes in blood parameters is iron deficiency. You may get it confirmed by doing iron profile test. Alternatively, you get started yourself on iron supplements as in all probabilities it is iron deficiency only. So, you should be started on tablet Fericip XT (Iron and Folic acid) twice a day after breakfast and dinner. This has to be continued till hemoglobin is corrected. So get it started and repeat hemoglobin and platelets after four weeks.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Is brownish discharge a sign of infertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I am not sexually active. I had my periods on the 15th of last month and on 29th I had spotting with some blood. After that, I am experiencing brown discharge. It has been three days now. Please help me.  Read Full »

My son's ferritin is low, and he is an athlete. Should he take iron supplements?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 16 year old son, he runs at the varsity level, for his high school, cross country, and track team. He is a distance runner. He recently had some blood tests done. His hemoglobin was 14.8 g/dL, hematocrit was 44.5 %, and ferritin was 23 ng/mL. I have been told by the team do...  Read Full »

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »