Q. I am under SNRI for stress and experiencing low sex drive. What to do?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have a current issue that I cannot find a solution for the last five years. I suffered from anxiety a debilitating one, and after trying many SSRI, nothing worked except Effexor SNRI, which reduced the stress. Now the problem is that I have no libido and sex drive and all the associated issues. The psychiatrists in my place that I see insist that it is not from the medicine and it is from me. And this thing is annoying, so what can I do to solve this problem also Wellbutrin is not sold in my place.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You may be aware that SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and SNRIs (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) like Effexor are good at managing anxiety, but it can cause sexual side effects in some people. As your local psychiatrists said, it is also typical for the low libido to be related to anxiety and depressed mood as well. Was your libido normal before you went on Effexor?

If lowering of libido is directly related to commencing Effexor, one option is to try a lower dose and see whether anxiety is controlled and libido improves. Another option will be to switch to mirtazapine which has a lower tendency to cause sexual side effects. I will recommend discussing with your psychiatrist, as you will need to be monitored while making any medication changes. Also, have had CBT for anxiety? It will help you in managing stress when medication is eventually tapered off.

| 

Please suggest some medicines for low sex drive.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I got married a year back. My problem is low sexual drive. Are there any safe medicines to induce sexual desire? Also, my penis is circumcised. So, my penile glans are dry and insensitive. Is there any topical cream available to increase the sensitivity of my ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full »

I have erection problem, penetration issue, and low libido. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have erection problem, penetration issue, and low libido. Kindly help.  Read Full »