Q. Can you suggest some food to help my son gain weight?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Published on Feb 13, 2017

My son is 16 months old. He was 2.48 kg during birth. Now, he is 9.2 kg. He is taking three to four meals per day. He is also given Enfamil formula milk. But, his weight gaining is very slow. My local pediatrician has prescribed Lysiplex suspension for two months and Calcium suspension for four months. Should we start these medicines? Can you suggest some healthy food to help him gain weight?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• It is a common complaint to pediatricians from almost 90% of mothers that the child is not gaining weight appropriately.
  • It looks like your child's weight is fine when considering his birth weight. Infants triple their birth weight as they complete their first year of life. (2.5 x 3 = 7.5 kg).
  • Now your child is 16 months and weighs around 9.5 kg is a good weight. No need to worry.
  • Continue to breastfeed as long as possible (even up to 2 years). You can use formula feeds if you feel breastfeeding is inadequate.
  • Give a fruit twice per day and all types of vegetables. Feed him every 2 hourly. You can continue his calcium supplement.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

How to gain weight as I am underweight and more vulnerable to climate change?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old. I am underweight and my BMI is low (below 18). I do not have any other medical issues. But, I used to get vulnerable cold and cough to climate change.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Basically, your immune system is very weak. Some people like you are very much prone to cold and cough, because of which the body's normal biological systems gets disturbed during each season. When our immune system gets altered our antigens, which are the fighting soldie...  Read Full

Kindly suggest an appetite enhancer to gain weight.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. My height is 5'8" and weight is 53 kg. I want to gain weight. I do not feel hungry. I want to increase my appetite so that I can eat more. I also do not eat junk foods. I have always been underweight. I used a syrup to increase appetite when I was 14. But, I did ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.There are food items which can act as appetizers instead of any syrup. But, if you find that syrup, then you can have it.Have tomato soups every day at 12 noon before lunch. Have carrot and cucumber salad in the evening or mid noon every day.Take a bowl of yogurt daily du...  Read Full

Why am I having constipation with hard stools and frequent urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old, female. I am suffering from asthma, rhinitis allergy, IBS, ulcerative colitis and osteoporosis, and anemia. My last blood report was of 7.9 hemoglobin. I feel constantly tired and exhausted plus new problem has started that each and every bone pains all the time mos...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Get started with Iron and Calcium supplements. Take fiber rich diet and plenty of fluids. Take laxatives and cranberry juice for constipation and bladder symptoms. You can have an active bladder and chronic constipation. Get a urine examination, thyroid profile and pelv...  Read Full