Q. After mastectomy, why is there tightness around the arm?

Answered by Dr. Payas Joshi and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Lymphedema or Protein Rich Diet? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Before seven months, I had a mastectomy. During which, I had my lymph nodes taken out of my armpit. I had exercises to do, which helped ease the tightness in my arm. Only in the last two weeks or so, I have noticed a tightness in my hand on the same side of the operation. It feels a bit tight and swollen. I have attached a photo. What could this be?