Q. After mastectomy, why is there tightness around the arm?

Dr. Payas Joshi
Published on Jan 22, 2017

Before seven months, I had a mastectomy. During which, I had my lymph nodes taken out of my armpit. I had exercises to do, which helped ease the tightness in my arm. Only in the last two weeks or so, I have noticed a tightness in my hand on the same side of the operation. It feels a bit tight and swollen. I have attached a photo. What could this be?

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• It is most probably lymphedema. It occurs as your lymph nodes are taken out, which helps in the drainage of lymph.
  • Are you doing your exercises regularly? This can be prevented by proper exercises that your doctor must have told you.
  • Keep your arm at a height above head so that it gets drained by gravity. Compression bandages can be used.
  • Take a low salt and high protein diet. Do not wear tight clothes, in particular on that side.
  • Usually, it gets relieved by the above methods. If not, then you should see your doctor for proper examination.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I am still a bit confused and worried. Does this condition happen if you have new cancer?

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understand your concern.

• This condition is very common after nodes removal, so most probably it is because of that only.
  • I would suggest you meet a physiotherapist who can help in graded compression bandages and massage therapy to decrease such swelling.
  • I do not think it as cancer growth. Please visit your surgeon who can examine you directly to see for other causes if any.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I have shoulder pain after playing squash. How can I get relief?

Query: Hello doctor,I have shoulder pain possibly from playing squash. Please view my reports.  Read Full »

Metpure XL 25 mg causes headache and fall in my sugar level. Is it a side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my BP 140/90 mmHg. The doctor advised me to take tablet Metpure XL 25 mg in the morning. I am using the tablet in the morning for last 20 days. Soon after taking it, I feel lazy and dull. I also experience a headache after taking the tablet. So, I am using Metpure XL 12.5 mg in the ...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now