Q. Low self-esteem causing marriage to collapse. What might help?

Answered by
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2018

Hi doctor,

My sister is 36 years, married, and she has four kids. She always faces problems with her husband. The same complaint is always there. He is humiliating me. He sees me as useless. He is neglecting me. He does not respect me. When I tried talking to her, I saw that her self-esteem is low and she is denying that all the time. Her marriage is about to collapse. We tried to convince her to visit a marriage counselor or a psychiatrist. But she refused. She says that all of the family is against her and we are not supporting her. She does not want a divorce nor solve any issue. She gets her full needs of self-actualization from social media educational groups that she participates in most of the time. I am afraid that she is living in her own world and refuses to have support from us. How can I help her? Or how can I wake her up as she is going to lose everything but she is unaware due to denying and blaming others? We do love her and she needs help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is very important to stay away from social media. It is not a true life. Make her spend time with family and friends. Fix her duration to spend time with mobile or electronic gadgets. Give her books to read. Divert her to spend quality time for creative hobbies like painting, writing, learn new languages, cooking, dancing, music, etc. Keep her busy with the new schedule.

Advise her to go for exercise daily at least for 30 to 40 minutes. Get good sleep. If there is any violent behavior, admit her involuntarily to a psychiatry unit. She needs a proper evaluation to treat her. She may have psychotic symptoms or major depressive disorder. Medication can help her.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am hearing sound and voices. Is it auditory hallucinations?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 23 years old. I have been hearing sound and voices for a couple of weeks. I think I am having auditory hallucinations. Experienced this before when I committed suicide eight years back. Then it stopped until now I am hearing them again. No medication.  Read Full »

Internet Addiction Disorder and Gaming Disorder

Article Overview: Internet and gaming is a type of modern addiction. Read the article to know more about them. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Psychologist Counsellor

What Is Internet Addiction Disorder? From education to entertainment, there is certainly no life area that has not been changed by the advent of the internet. It has not only made life simpler but also very fast-paced and instant. The internet has given us growth in all aspects. At the same time, ...  Read Article

My energy levels are low, and feel sad and cranky. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, Lying all day not interested in literally anything, energy levels low, feel tired without any reasons, sad, cranky and not doing any work. This happens in cycles, might work for a day and then shut off for weeks doing nothing productive and feeling stuck. Been quite a long time experi...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.