Q. I am an 18 year old facing baldness problem. Could it be genetic?

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2022

I am an 18 year old boy and I am facing the problem of baldness. Two years ago, I used hair wax. Since then, dandruff stuck to my scalp and has not gone. I have used a lot of shampoos, but it recured due to which my hair started falling and did not regrow from the sides as well as from the front. And my parents also have thin hair. So, I am afraid it is genetic. Is there any solution to this problem? Please reply soon. I am tensed.

#

I understand your concern.

Since you are 18 years old, it is too early to lose hair even though baldness runs in the family. You could be suffering from a fungal infection or alopecia. There are many reasons that cause hair fall and it is difficult to decide the treatment without a physical examination. If you meet a dermatologist, you will get appropriate medication after a proper examination and probably some blood tests too. In the meantime, reflect on your diet and watch if you are eating healthily. Proteins are essential for hair health. Include nuts, sprouts, eggs and lean meat like chicken and fish in your diet.

I hope that helps.

|