Q. Would it be dangerous to take Cardarine while on Nardil?

Dr. Danish Qureshi
Published on Apr 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am currently on 90 mg of Nardil (Phenelzine), which has proven to be a miracle drug for me. I have found over the years that many drugs you are supposed to avoid while on MAOIs are really acceptable. For instance, in order to counteract the daytime sleepiness side effect, I am actually on a small dose of Wellbutrin (Bupropion), which is supposedly contraindicated with Nardil. But, I take it just fine with no impact on blood pressure. In fact, I have never had a hypertensive response. Over the years, my weight has increased due to the Nardil and I am looking to do something drastic about this and very soon. Specifically, I want to do a short run cycle of Cardarine (GW501516) in order to lose weight, while preserving muscle. Would it be dangerous to take this while on Nardil? By all accounts my levels of MAOI are pretty low.

Dr. Danish Qureshi

Pharmacology
#

I understand your concern.

• Yes, you are right. Bupropion is contraindicated with MAO inhibitors (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) as it may cause seizures.
  • Daytime sleepiness is very hard to avoid, but you may try some natural stimulants like green tea and if needed you can go for coffee. Also, if it is well tolerated by you then it is not a big concern right now. But, you can always try to stop Bupropion and try some other stimulants as I mentioned.
  • Cardarine is a drug that binds to the PPAR (peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor), which then increases the expression of genes involved in the expenditure of energy. In other words, Cardarine activates the same genetic pathways that are involved in exercise, hence you lose weight.
  • Surely, Cardarine does not interfere with MAOI pathway and no interaction has been reported with Phenelzine. But, for your information I want to tell you that this drug has been abused by athletes for long.
  • The drug development was halted by GSK (Glaxosmithkline), because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs. There are some articles in favor of its use, but I personally do not recommend.

For further information consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

I suffer from headaches, insomnia, depression and anxiety. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from headaches for the past 80 days. I smoked four cigarettes every night and two every day early in the morning for 30 days, and then I stopped it with nicotine gum. From the past 160 days, I am suffering from insomnia. Five days after I quit smoking, I started ...  Read Full »

What medicine should I avoid while taking Lithium and Quetiapine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on Lithium 600 mg per day and Quetiapine 300 mg per day. I would like to know what kind of food, beverages and medicines I should avoid.  Read Full »

What could be the cause of ventricular fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, My 29 year old brother had a pacemaker placed three years ago after survival from a sudden cardiac arrest. Doctors found the cause of the cardiac arrest to be a ventricular fibrillation. Last week was the first time he received a shock from his pacemaker, that is, exactly three years...  Read Full »

Ask a Pharmacologist Now