Q. Are the changes in my menstrual cycle due to MTP or PCOS?

Dr. Ridhi Narang
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 28, 2021

I have PCOS for the past two years. I had an MTP five months back at 14 weeks due to some complications. I got periods after abortion which was heavy. It lasted for six days. I took a urine pregnancy test and it showed me a negative result. After few days, I had bleeding that lasted for four days. Then I had light bleeding for three days. I heard it as implantation bleeding and so I took a urine pregnancy test again. I had a negative result. Then I had heavy bleeding and I changed almost 5 to 6 pads. After that, I had light bleeding for few days. I was not sexually active after this incident. I got bleeding again for two and a half days. Is there any chance of pregnancy? Is this change in pattern occur due to MTP? Can PCOS be the cause?

#

I understand your concern. After MTP (medical termination of pregnancy), irregular periods occur due to changes in hormone levels. You will not get your first periods on time. You have spotting due to changes in your periods. As you have PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease), there are more chances for you to have it due to PCOD and MTP. You have done pregnancy tests multiple times and it showed you a negative result. It is sure that there is an absence of pregnancy. If you want to confirm it, you can do a beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test. After getting your periods, do these tests on the second day such as serum FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), serum LH (luteinizing hormone), serum prolactin, and serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). It helps to rule out the cause. If you still have spotting, you can take tablet Trenaxa 500 mg (Tranexamic acid) three times a day for three days. It helps to stop your bleeding.

|