Q. How to overcome mental health crisis?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

My brother is harming himself and it has been noticed for the past six months. He is cutting his hands and pricking with sharp objects around him. We are not able to cope with this. He is an introvert from the beginning and now he is doing this and not talking with anyone. His relationship with his girlfriend did not work and now he is not himself. How can I help him with his mental health crisis? Kindly suggest me a solution.

#

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. He may have a borderline personality disorder. He may have a chronic feeling of emptiness, emotional outbursts, self-harming behavior, and overwhelming behavior. He mostly feels that no one understands him. He may have difficulty keeping the relationship for a long time. He may have frequent job-related issues and may have anger outbursts. There is non-pharmacological management for it. I suggest you to follow the below guidelines for it.

1. He should exercise daily for 30 to 45 minutes like at least going for a walk.

2. He should meditate for 20 minutes daily. Do not stop or force himself to stop his thoughts, just let them be.

3. He should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods.

4. He should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if they are living far away from him.

5. He should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills, or language or musical instruments.

6. He should take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

7. He must avoid tobacco, alcohol, or any substance abuse.

Give him reasons to live his life, do not just spend it. Be bold and confident.

I hope that you got your answer. Please let me know if you want some help.

|