Q. I have soreness and pain on one side of my head. Do I have migraine?

Dr. Gursimran
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2021

I have soreness and pain on one side of my head. I have eye pain with pressure and ear pain.

#

Soreness and pain on the one side of the head at this young age occur due to migraine. Sometimes, a migraine headache causes heaviness in the head with a throbbing headache. It reaches its peak in 4 to 6 hours. Please mention whether you have any difficulty in looking at bright lights during soreness. Please mention whether you have any irritation when someone makes a noise.

I do not have any irritation on seeing lights or when someone makes noise. I notice that a vein in my temple gets thicker and hurts a lot when I have soreness in the left side of the head. It includes both eye pain and ear pain.

#

This is not a classical migraine but these are some atypical symptoms of migraine. Please mention whether you have any redness in your eyes or tearing of eyes with soreness or your left eye appears small. Please mention whether you get neck pain. Please mention in detail about your medication history. Please mention whether you have taken any pain medications. If yes, then mention its dosage.

I feel weird when my eyes move inside my eye socket. I feel uncomfortable without any tears or redness. I have not taken any medications. I have neck pain. I have attached the picture of my eyes.

#

I have gone through the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no redness or any tearing. It seems like a migrainous headache. The triggering agents of migraine are reduced sleep, eating meals at an improper time, premenstrual syndrome, exposure to sunlight, and traveling in a fast-moving vehicle. On a scale of 1 to 10, kindly mention its sensation. Please mention whether it has become worse now.

When I have a headache, I am unable to lay down my head on my pillow as it hurts more. I will rate it as 9 out of 10 as it seems different than a headache. I have never experienced this kind of issue in my head. It has been 3 months now. I had headaches before but they are different from the one I have now. Sometimes, I get a weird smell with a burning sensation.

#

You need to start taking migraine prophylaxis. You can start taking tablet Aleve 500 mg (Naproxen) twice daily for two days while having a severe headache. You can also take tablet Propranolol 20 mg once daily.

I also get some twitches in my body. Can it occur due to vitamin deficiency? I had an appointment with my gynecologist and I told her my issues. She checked my ears and prescribed medicines. Does soreness in my head have any relation to my ears and tonsils? She took some blood samples for a general examination. She told me that if there is no improvement in two weeks, she told me to consult a specialist.

#

Twitches in your body occur due to vitamin B12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, and anxiety. Please mention whether you have twitches in your calves or shoulder region. She checked your ears because ears have some relation to headache due to blocked ears. Blood samples are taken to check your vitamin levels. You need to consult a neurologist if there is no improvement.

|