Q. I need an evaluation of my annual health check up. Please help.

Dr. Vishal Khurana
Published on Jul 20, 2017

As part of a corporate health check up, I had undergone liver function test, USG abdomen with pelvis and lipid profile. The impression in the USG was mild hepatomegaly with grade-II fatty changes. I have attached the reports. In LFT the total bilirubin was 1.41, direct bilirubin 0.43, and indirect bilirubin 0.98. The other health issues I have are GERD, iron deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, and vitamin D deficiency.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show that you have fatty liver with deranged LFT (liver function test). Do u drink alcohol? What is ur body weight and height?
  • You need the following tests to be done:
  1. HBsAg
  2. Anti-HCV
  • You can discuss with your physician about taking the following medications:
  1. Capsule Evion-LC 400 (Vitamin E) one capsule daily. 
  2. Tablet Ursocol (Ursodiol) 300 mg twice daily.

Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks for replying. Both HBsAg and Anti HCV were tested on the same day. Both came negative. I drink beer once a month. My body weight is 85 kg, height is 179 cm.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Stopping alcohol consumption will help your liver as well as GERD issues.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I am using these medicines for 15 days. Since last two days, I am feeling dull pain at the right side of the chest or back of the right breast especially during morning and evening while going to bed. Once I take Ursocol medication, and pain subsides. Please let me know what could be the reason.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Are you doing exercise?

Yes, I am doing exercise daily for an hour, and I reduced 2 kg in 15 days.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I think your problem will settle in a day or two. Continue the same. If symptoms persist, then get chest x-ray PA.

Again I got mild pain in the right upper chest. I had a PA chest x-ray. Lungs show prominent broncho-vascular marking in bilateral lung fields, others are normal. Both domes raised, positional, soft tissues and bony cage are normal. Heart size and shape is normal. Aorta and pulmonary vascularity are normal. Both CP angles are clear. Tracheal and mediastinum regions are within normal limits. Bilateral hilar contours are within normal.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

There is no cause of chest pain in this x-ray report. Consult a local physician for physical examination. Get fresh LFT.

I consulted a Physician for physical examination and had x-ray and CBC. I attached the report here. The doctor prescribed Levoflox 500 mg and Montemac-FX for 5 days. As suggested by you, I had LFT. For liver, the doctor suggested continuing Ursocol 300 mg. When should I stop that?

Please suggest the next course of treatment for fatty liver and reasons for chest pain. Should I carry USG liver?

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I would recommend you to continue Ursocol and Evion. Get Fibroscan with CAP. Chest pain could be musculoskeletal pain if the local doctor has not suggested any other problem.

Please avoid exercise for a few days.

I carried a Fibro scan and the conclusion came as no fibrosis seen in liver elastography.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Please send the report for further review.

Please check the attached report.

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

This test is US elastography and not fibroscan with CAP (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But, the report is good. Continue Evion and Ursocol. Please repeat LFT after one month.

I used Evion and Ursocol daily and doing exercise every day for 1 hour. I reduced my weight from 88 kg to 79 kg, BMI is 24 and body fat is 23. I stopped taking alcohol, fatty food and junk food. I carried LFT today which is 20 days since last. All values are in normal levels expect SGPT - 50 units per liter which were 55. I attached the report. Should I continue both Evion and Ursocol? Should I do anything else to control SGPT?

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Please continue the same drugs.

Hi doctor,I carried LFT today which is 20 days since last. All values are normal except 1.3 mg/dl which was 1.0 and 1.2 in the past two occasions. Should I continue Evion and Ursocol or can I stop those as values are in normal condition? Please suggest. Should I get USG to confirm that the liver condition is under control?

Dr. Vishal Khurana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Yes, you can stop Evion and Ursocol for now. Your reports are ok. Continue physical exercise and dietary modification.

Can I give Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold for my mother who is suffering from AMD?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from AMD. The doctor has recommended Ocugold tablet one per day. But, due to a shortage of this medicine, I am not able to get it. Can I give her Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both Oxidon (Beta-carotene and Vitamin E) and Ocugold (Beta-carotene, Lutein, with Mixed carotene) are based on the AREDS (age-related eye disease study) formulation. Both are used in the treatment of AMD (age-related macular degeneration) of moderate severity. But in c...  Read Full

What is the reason for abdomen pain and poor appetite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an unmarried 35-year-old male. It all started last month when I experienced mid-epigastric pain one fine morning. I took some pain relievers and got rid of that. Then, after almost a week, I got lower back pain on the right side suddenly one morning, then, upper back pain middle ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chitrangada
Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The scans are suggestive of a systemic disorder rather than a focal lesion, and they perfectly correlate with your symptoms. Please send your ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) levels. For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://icli...  Read Full

I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. My body weight is 64.5 kg and height is 5'3". My USG report shows that the liver is mildly enlarged in size (liver span is 123 mm), but has normal shape and outline. There is a mild diffuse homogenous increase of hepatic parenchymal echogenicity suggesting mild f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The liver is a workhouse for metabolism of protein and fat (lipids). When there is an excess of lipid in your blood than the capacity to metabolize by the liver, the excessive lipids start to accumulate in hepatic cells known as fatty liver. This is an ongoing process, if...  Read Full