Q. Will a baby tooth fall off during braces treatment in a 14-year-old?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 20, 2019

We are looking at getting braces for my 14-year-old daughter. She does not need wisdom teeth removed, but she has a small baby tooth number 22. The last dentist we went to see suggested removing it because there is no enough root. They suggested to remove before braces and bridge it. I am concerned the bridging may get damaged. She has only 15 teeth, and number 12 never came out. (wisdom teeth are coming out and visible on X-ray).

Is it possible the baby tooth can remain, or will it fall out during the braces procedure? I thought if we try to keep it then once the braces are off we can have a veneer or overlay placed on top of the baby tooth? I do not feel comfortable for my 14-year-old daughter to have bridging work at such a young age, and she would then have to always need a new tooth or bridge every 7 to 10 years which is expensive.

If the baby tooth needs removing, then is it possible to remove it but not place another tooth and close that gap while the braces are on? Can this be achieved with braces? At least her mouth will have the same amount of teeth in it. I am getting different opinions to form dentists, and some have said all four wisdom teeth need removal, and this one said no need. Please provide suggestions.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

Please attach the X-ray for a better understanding. Anyway, the milk tooth has to be removed. The wisdom tooth usually develops and erupts by around 18 to 20 years of age. So need to see X-ray for confirmation. No need for a bridge at this age go for braces to correct alignment and if possible, close the space without a bridge.

I have attached several pictures of the X-rays plus a smiling picture to show her teeth. Can the baby tooth be pulled out and will the braces be able to close that gap? Do you seem to think the baby tooth would not stay in when the braces are on for 18 months? If the baby tooth remains then after dental bonding can make it look like the other teeth or do you think the baby tooth will fall out? I have a baby tooth exactly where my daughter does, and mine has been in for 52 years, but I never had braces. All my wisdom teeth are in also.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

If your daughter is going for braces, then the milk tooth will fall off as there is very little or no root structure. I will not suggest bridge but remove the milk tooth and then close the space by bringing canine and other teeth bit forward to make it symmetrical to the right side. It will give a well-balanced appearance overall. No veneer or crown can be made over the milk tooth as it will not be able to support the weight. When braces are put maybe two teeth will have to be removed from the lower jaw to bring upper and lower teeth into proper alignment and to create space.

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

I was suggested to remove the premolars for my orthodontic treatment. Is this the only way?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday I consulted an orthodontist, and I was told, that to keep the changes that braces will acquire, they will have to pull out four of my healthy teeth, without including the wisdom teeth. Those are going to be four premorals, two on the upper jaw, and two on the bottom jaw. I hea...  Read Full »

I have two milk teeth covered by adult teeth. How long will it take to remove the baby teeth?

Query: Hello doctor,I have two milk teeth in my mouth in the upper part. There are two adult teeth on top of that as visible from the x-ray. I wanted to know if I start the procedure now, how long it takes to pull the two adult teeth down and remove the baby teeth?  Read Full »