Q. Is sexual abstinence for three months necessary after a miscarriage?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I had a miscarriage two weeks back. The baby had no heartbeat or growth even after nine weeks. So, the doctor gave me tablets for abortion. And she advised taking rest and abstinence from sex for three months. I am confused about that because I am eager to have a baby now. Please suggest.

#

How are you doing?

Sorry to hear about the loss. Hope God gives you all the mental strength to face it.

• Also, the hormones of this pregnancy will take some time to disappear, you do not want them to overlap the next pregnancy. You are young, the best time for pregnancy is 19 to 35 years, so you have a lot of time.
  • Miscarriage without seeing the baby's heartbeat means, there was some genetic problem with the baby. Do not bother to find the cause. Genetic problems are like accidents, they will usually not repeat. They are due to causes which cannot be treated and they will not be seen in next pregnancy.
  • Your chances of next healthy pregnancy are 97 %. Am not saying this to console you, but this is a fact.
  • I suggest taking tablet Folic acid daily, one tab from a month before you try to get pregnant. This will reduce miscarriage chances, and it is good for the baby.
  • Before you try for next pregnancy, I suggest doing the following tests.
  1. Fasting and postprandial blood sugars.
  2. Serum thyroid.
  3. Complete blood count.
  4. Urine routine.
  • These are few simple causes that can cause miscarriages or affect the baby's growth. We advise these even before your first pregnancy.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|