Q. Can you tell me if there are signs of cancer in my mother's MRI?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 02, 2019

I need to have my mother’s MRI read by a radiologist. Her doctor ordered her to have an MRI done and she had one done yesterday. My mother has had neck pain for at least a year now and her doctor believes the problem is arthritis, but not sure. My mother went to a physical therapist and had several shots in her neck for pain, but that did not solve the problem. I have sent the files of the MRI.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail and have gone through the MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please find my observations below.

1. There is straightening of the cervical spine. Mild degenerative changes are noted in the vertebrae.
  2. There are mild posterior disc bulges at levels C 5 - C 6 and C 6 - C 7.
  3. There is no severe nerve root compression.and might be described as early degenerative changes.
  4. I acknowledge that there is slight nerve root compression at disc level C 5 - C 6 on the left side. In this region, there is mild thecal sac indentation.
  5. The T 1 and T 2 vertebral signal characteristics are unremarkable.

In conclusion, pain in the neck is possible with this kind of an MRI finding and might be considered a finding that is to be managed medically. Surgery is not required in this case as the findings are mild.Physiotherapy and nerve pain relief medicines are the first treatment of choice.

Can you tell me if you see any signs of cancer in the neck area of the MRI?

#

There is limited assessment of the neck region in this MRI scan.

1. The neck structures including the airway and food passage are normal to the extent visualized.
  2. Base of tongue and epiglottis are normal.
  3. Posterior pharyngeal wall is normal.
  4. No obvious enlarged cervical lymph nodes are seen in the MRI scan.
  5. The prevertebral soft tissues are normal.
  6. Great vessels of the neck are normal bilaterally.
  7. No sign of cancer is visualized in these images.

In conclusion, if she is having any symptoms like change in voice, difficulty in respiration or when swallowing, then additional investigations might be required.

|