Q. Kindly look at my brain MRI and explain.

Dr. Chitrangada

I had an MRI of the brain and received the following finding: Questionable punctate area of altered signal gray-white matter interface left parietal lobe. What does that mean?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Punctate areas could indicate many things like hemorrhage, chronic infarct, etc. Can you please mention a few things? What was the indication for MRI? In the report, they must have mentioned the area to be T2W hyperintense or hypointense, better if you can share a copy of the report. I will be glad to help. Take care.

| 

I would like to know the meaning of the bottom two findings in the report that I have attached.

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Thanks for sharing the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These punctate areas in the left parietal lobe can be concerning for small vessel or lacunar infarcts. The second impression showing volume loss of the hippocampus is a sign of mesial temporal sclerosis which is associated with a seizure disorder and needs clinical correlation. If you have any difficulty please feel free to discuss. Take care.

| 

Can you please explain in simpler terms? Should I be concerned? I was in a MVA14 years back and suffered a TBI, as a result, three years back I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Could this explain the second finding?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

The second finding is a disease entity which is seen in epilepsy. These findings do not need any active or surgical intervention. These would be more or less constant and would not change with time. Therefore, I feel that considering the report, you just need to continue with the medication regimen. Take care.

| 

What does this mean (These punctate areas in the left parietal lobe can be concerning for small vessel or lacunar infarcts) in simpler terms? Should I be concerned?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

It refers to abnormal focal area which is due to small vessel infarct.

| 

But what does that mean?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

There is nothing in your scan that requires immediate attention.

| 

It just worried me.

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

It is okay to be worried, just that once you know how to deal with it you would be sorted.

|