Q. I have multiple sclerosis and under treatment. Kindly advice on MRI and the reason for hearing loss.

Dr. Ardit Tela
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I currently have MS and receive Tysabri as a treatment. During my recent MRI, several things showed up, which have been dismissed out of hand by my MS Provider.

1. In comparison to previous scans, there is a new focus of increased signal change in the right temporal lobe medially adjacent to the third horn

2. Inflammatory changes noted in the ethmoid and maxillary sinuses with a large polyp or retention cysts in the maxillary sinuses. Do any of these require further investigation and can any of these be a reason for hearing loss?

Do you have a question on Multiple Sclerosis or Hearing Loss?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ardit Tela

NEUROLOGY POSTGRADUATE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Neurology

I have read your question carefully, and I will try to answer in detail. I understand your concern. I would like to have additional information please,

1. Since when you have the diagnosis of MS and for how long are you on Tysabri (Natalizumab)?

2. When was your hearing damaged and did you have the MRI for this symptom or any other new symptoms or was it a routine imaging check-up for MS?

Actually, the MRI report did not show up a number of new things. Except the tiny new plaque which we expect from time to time in MS (the definition of MS is distributed in time and space). Also, none of the plaques are active. Regarding the inflammatory changes and retention cyst in maxillary sinuses, you shouldn't worry. Most of them are asymptomatic and incidental findings during head imaging (radiography, CT, MRI) and are not related to MS. However if you have symptoms like headache, frequent infections of sinuses, facial pain, etc., then you could consult a maxillofacial surgeon, to evaluate you for possible surgical treatment.

I would recommend doing regular follow-ups with your treating physician, and I would not recommend an additional investigation. However, a consult with an ENT doctor is advisable for the differential diagnosis of hearing loss, since the hearing loss is an uncommon symptom in MS. I hope my answer was helpful. Feel free to contact me again with additional information, and if you have further questions.

Also Read Answers From: Multiple Sclerosis Hearing Loss Mri

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?
Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »
Dr. Raja Ramesh
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease. So with time, incontinence may change in either direction, positively or negatively. The best option is what you have been doing. It is called CIC (clean intermittent catheterization). It is adaptable to all stages of disease ...  Read Full »

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?
Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should not use headphones for more than three hours in your case. It also depends on what frequency and what decibel of sound the noise cancellation masker will have. You can rather use ear plugs. For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --...  Read Full »

Is it possible for mild hearing loss to reverse by itself?
Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a hearing test which indicated mild hearing loss at the 4k Hz level. The audiologist said not to worry about it at all, protect my ears and it will very unlikely worsen. He even mentioned that it may reverse itself. I am only 32 years old, so I understand any recording abo...  Read Full »
Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the reports indicated (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is a dip at 4k which indicated a noise-induced hearing loss. Many people suggest that it is not a thing to be worried about, however, we cannot neglect it completely. There are...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now