Q. I have multiple sclerosis and under treatment. Kindly advice on MRI and the reason for hearing loss.

Answered by
Dr. Ardit Tela
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 15, 2019

Hello doctor,

I currently have MS and receive Tysabri as a treatment. During my recent MRI, several things showed up, which have been dismissed out of hand by my MS Provider.

1. In comparison to previous scans, there is a new focus of increased signal change in the right temporal lobe medially adjacent to the third horn

2. Inflammatory changes noted in the ethmoid and maxillary sinuses with a large polyp or retention cysts in the maxillary sinuses. Do any of these require further investigation and can any of these be a reason for hearing loss?


This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Ardit Tela



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your question carefully, and I will try to answer in detail. I understand your concern. I would like to have additional information please,

1. Since when you have the diagnosis of MS and for how long are you on Tysabri (Natalizumab)?

2. When was your hearing damaged and did you have the MRI for this symptom or any other new symptoms or was it a routine imaging check-up for MS?

Actually, the MRI report did not show up a number of new things. Except the tiny new plaque which we expect from time to time in MS (the definition of MS is distributed in time and space). Also, none of the plaques are active. Regarding the inflammatory changes and retention cyst in maxillary sinuses, you shouldn't worry. Most of them are asymptomatic and incidental findings during head imaging (radiography, CT, MRI) and are not related to MS. However if you have symptoms like headache, frequent infections of sinuses, facial pain, etc., then you could consult a maxillofacial surgeon, to evaluate you for possible surgical treatment.

I would recommend doing regular follow-ups with your treating physician, and I would not recommend an additional investigation. However, a consult with an ENT doctor is advisable for the differential diagnosis of hearing loss, since the hearing loss is an uncommon symptom in MS. I hope my answer was helpful. Feel free to contact me again with additional information, and if you have further questions.

Was this answer helpful?



This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full »

Is it possible for mild hearing loss to reverse by itself?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a hearing test which indicated mild hearing loss at the 4k Hz level. The audiologist said not to worry about it at all, protect my ears and it will very unlikely worsen. He even mentioned that it may reverse itself. I am only 32 years old, so I understand any recording abo...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.