Q. I have a twitching on the right side near the diaphragm. What can it be?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

I have a trembling or twitching on my side near the diaphragm, roughly around the sixth and seventh rib. It feels like a bubbling sensation, and I can feel it when I hold my fingers to the side. 

Dr. Prathap

#

• By your description, this appears like a pulsatile mass, because you can feel it with your fingers on the side.
  • It may be in the diaphragm or the lower part of the lung or the liver if it is on right side. But the incidence of such a mass at your age is very rare.
  • If you had sustained any trauma in the past, then there is a possibility of some diaphragm injury which can lead to such a complaint.
  • It can be a diaphragm eventration, but again it is not so common in your age.
  • So, to find the exact reason, you need to have some tests done.
  1. Chest x-ray.
  2. Ultrasound of chest and abdomen.
  3. Fluoroscopy to know the function of diaphragm.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for replying. It is on my right side, and only the trembling or bubbly feeling can be felt. There is no mass or lump felt there. I think that it is not a serious issue, but I was wondering what could cause this?

Dr. Prathap

#

• Occasional trembling might not be a major issue. It might be muscle twitches, which is occasionally seen in normal individuals also.
  • I suggest you get an ultrasound of the abdomen and chest so that it will clear all doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Why are my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels elevated?

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full »