Q. I suddenly drop whatever is in my hand, and my head goes down. What is wrong with me?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am just sitting, and suddenly I drop whatever is in my hand, and my head goes down. I do this several times a day. What is wrong with me? I take nine different drugs, but I have been on all for a long time; this just started three months ago.

#

What is more, it seems to get worse gradually, so we are talking about a neurological condition that makes your hand and head drop several times a day. The most likely conditions which can cause this kind of symptoms are some not so common forms of epilepsy or narcolepsy with cataplexy. This means you have to see a neurologist. But do not be afraid; this is nothing I neurologist cannot treat this. I wish you strength and that you get all the medical attention you need.

Sudden loss of control over head and hands.

*MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain.
*Transcranial sonography of the substantia nigra.
*Comprehensive laboratory tests.
*Evaluation of all medications taken.

Epilepsy.
Other neurological disorders.
Side-effects of medications taken.

Narcolepsy with cataplexy.

See a neurologist.

Once in a month.

| 

What are the side effects of taking Adderall for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 29 year old boyfriend, who weighs 190 lbs and 6 feet tall, he is a former athlete in college. He was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia through the spinal tab, five years ago. He is now taking Adderall 60 mg a day total, spread over six times, and is using Flumazenil cream, wh...  Read Full »

I take Adderall with Lexapro for major depressive disorder. Is there any alternate for Lexapro?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently on Adderall 30 mg twice a day for narcolepsy with cataplexy and Lexapro 20 mg for resistant major depressive disorder. My previous psychiatric nurse practitioner tried me on many antidepressants that did not work. Lexapro helps some but not much at all. I have very bad an...  Read Full »

I feel excess heat in my body with burning sensation in foot. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 55 years old male, weighing 58 kg at 160 cm. My query is that I have a problem of excess heat in my body. I experience severe burning in the foot, especially in the mornings. Please advise remedy.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»