Q. I often end up saying things which I do not mean to. How do I avoid this?

Answered by
Dr. Lisa Barros Mascarenhas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Nov 24, 2017

Hi doctor,

I often end up saying things which I do not want to, especially with my friends, Later it takes a toll on me. I am fine with the regrets, but I am not able to learn from my regrets. Each time, I decide not to say certain things before I meet or speak to my friend, but eventually, end up saying exactly that. I do not like what I am doing. It happens only with my close friends because I am myself with them. But now, I do not want to be this way with anyone. I do not hate them. Can you help me?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand how you feel about it.

  • Firstly, you should focus on changing how you react.
  1. So, on those lines, firstly my advice to you is to keep a book to pen down your thoughts daily, especially when you say something you regret. Make three columns with a)Your reaction. For example, if you said something in anger, make a note of it. b)Your thoughts at that time. For example, you thought he was not looking at you. c)Your feelings then. For example, you were hurt. Keep entering your thoughts this way and read them later. You will slowly be aware of the cycle. Next, you will have to slowly change your thoughts from negative to positive. Writing down daily and becoming more aware of the thoughts will help you change them and eventually you will change the way you react and will not regret what you said.
  2. Also, do some deep breathing exercises daily especially in the mornings and afternoons for few minutes. It will help you calmly react to things.
  3. Do some form of exercise daily.

I hope I was able to help you start with the process.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you doctor,

Sometimes, I do pen down my thoughts during the regrets, but I end up making the same mistakes, especially the ones which I have mentioned. The problem here is I am aware of the process, but I am still missing it at times. But, I will try to do it your way.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • It is not just about penning it down. Write in these three columns and go through it.
  • Also, try to follow the other things that I suggested. With the above method, you will be able to consciously change your thoughts from negative to positive. It is like cognitive behavior therapy which psychiatrists and psychologists use with some patients. 

It will help you control your thoughts and thus your actions better.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Hi doctor,

Hope you are doing good. In the process of life, we keep changing and transforming ourselves into a different person. Is it good to carry that change even with the people from my past?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I am doing good. Thank you.

  • It is not about changing into a different person. We just improvise on ourselves for our own betterment. It is primarily for us that we make small changes, for our healthy state of mind. We cannot control or predict people but can control the way we react, as that impacts us.

It holds good when you are around anybody from your past, present or future.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What is the reason for having negative thoughts and vivid dreams?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 56 years old. He is having negative thoughts and talks about deaths, has a vivid dream with severe sleepiness. He is not enjoying anything which he enjoyed before. He has short-term memory loss. He has fatigue with increased appetite. He has little issue in breathing during ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father may have PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). It is less likely to be due to glioma. The symptoms of a vision problem and memory loss are due to gliomas. You can give him a small dose of antidepressants and Benzodiazepine for the sleep disturbances. You ca...  Read Full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins. In your case, it could be thrombophlebitis, but...  Read Full

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Cervical length needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do not need t...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.