Q. My cousin took 18 tablets of Dolo 650 in a day. What will happen?

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder

My cousin is a 20-year-old female with a weight of 73 kg and a height of 5'6 feet. She took 18 tablets of Dolo 650 in a day. What will happen to her? She took the medicine yesterday, and she vomited it after eating some food in the evening. Now, she is feeling quite well. What can happen now? Can you please tell me quickly?

#

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

I would like to know the following:

1) Does she have any symptoms like nausea, malaise, vomiting, or abdominal pain?

2) How many hours have passed since she has taken the PCM (Paracetamol) tablets?

3) Did she take all the medicines together or overtook them over some time?

Tablet Paracetamol overdose has a total of four phases. The first phase (initial 24 hours) has nausea, vomiting, weakness, and lethargy. In the second phase (24 to 72 hours), these symptoms improve, but the effect on the liver starts. Finally, after 72 hours, actual signs of liver damage will begin.

For the age and weight of your cousin, a dose of 10 g (18 x 650 mg) taken together is likely to cause severe liver damage. Any amount greater than 7.5 g taken together can cause severe damage. Even if it is taken over 24 hours, it would still affect the liver. I would advise you not to ignore these symptoms and to get her tests for LFTs (liver function test) or RFTs (renal function test) and INR (international normalized ratio) done at the earliest.

I would urge you to get her to a qualified doctor who can assess her physical condition along with her blood reports.

I would be happy to help you further if you have any other questions.

|