Q. I noticed white strings in my stool. I hope it is not parasites. Please help.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Aug 12, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 34 year old female. I noticed what looks like white strings in my stool. I am also having symptoms like abdominal cramps and pain, severe fatigue, memory issues, dizziness, and sometimes constipation. I am hoping it is not parasites. Please help.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

• Symptoms which you have mentioned are related to two diseases, parasites or IBS.
  • To confirm if it is parasites, stool routine examination has to be done. 
  • This might be due to IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) also.
  • This condition presents with alternate constipation with or without abdominal pain, but no weight loss.
  • Management would be different in either of these conditions. 
  • If there are parasites, take tablet Mebendazole 400mg thrice a day for 3 days. 
  • If it is IBS, take Isabgula 3 spoons twice a day with curd or milk or water.
  • Get complete hemogram, Liver FunctionTests (LFT) and CRP (C-reactive protein test) done.

Revert back with the reports to a medical gatroenterologist online for further evaluation and treatment --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have IBS and seems to be related to SIBO. Please advise management.

Query: Hi doctor, I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results. Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best is to avoid eating foods that cause trouble. Secondly, for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), it is better to use a combination of Tetracyclines plus Metronidazole for two weeks. Effective probiotic will also help. Take the following medications: 1...  Read Full

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akant Kaushal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of burning sensation in anus following stools will be the consumption of spicy food. Another cause can be constipation, which can cause fissures around the anus. If this is the condition, apply Diltiazem gel 2 % three to four times a day for se...  Read Full