Q. I have a small red lump with slight pain and discomfort around my wisdom tooth. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 24-year-old male. I have two impacted lower wisdom teeth. I will get them removed, but I am currently postponing it due to the COVID-19 situation in my country. I want to go if it is urgent. This morning I woke up with slight pain and discomfort around one of the wisdom teeth, and I noticed a small red lump on the gum surrounding it. I have attached two pictures that I took an hour ago. Is this something I should be worried about? Do I need to go to the dentist because of it?

Thanks in advance.

#

I went through your query; I am very sorry for the discomfort. As a specialist, I am here to help you. I received only one image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) from your side. The lower right third molar is definitely impacted. The swelling over the tooth is due to infection from food accumulation (known as pericoronitis). But nothing to worry it is common in third molar impactions.

Start the medications -

- Capsule Sporidex 500 mg (Cephalexin 500 mg) one capsule twice daily for five days.

- Tablet Ibuprofen one tablet twice daily for five days.

- Capsule Omeprazole one capsule before meal for five days.

- Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 2%), mouthwash, gargle in lukewarm water two to three times a day.

- Avoid sticky or sweet food as much as possible.

- Brush twice gently; use a soft bristle toothbrush.

Start the medication as soon as possible. You will be much relieved, and nothing to be worried about. The lump over the teeth will subside with the medication, proper cleaning of the tooth, and maintained gargling. Once you complete the medicines, continue the warm gargle with mouthwash to avoid food accumulation and lump formation. Get the tooth extracted once you get comfortable with the COVID-19 issue (not an emergency) since we, dental surgeons, have already resumed practice, and extractions are carried out in full swing. I hope it was helpful. You can post me a query any time you need, and I assure complete assistance. If any further doubts, do let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Food accumulation leading to infection and inflammation.

Pericoronitis due to third molar impaction.

Medications for now. Get extracted when you feel comfortable with the COVID-19 issue. But do not worry; surgical works have already been started everywhere, and nothing to worry about.

Let me know if any doubts.

|