Q. I had a few blood spots in my shorts after getting treated for piles recently. Why?

Dr. Prathap
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2019

I noted a few blood spots in my shorts. No symptoms, though. Recently did a blood test and had high amylase. I had piles and got cured recently. I was under Ayurvedic medicine. Any connection? Is it something to worry? What precautions to be taken?

Dr. Prathap

#

Blood in shorts in the background of piles, check for any recurrence of piles. Consult a general surgeon in person to rule out any recurrence of piles. Serum amylase elevation is not a specific finding, and it is elevated in many conditions like salivary gland abnormality, pancreas involvement, etc. Maybe that is not related to blood loss.

Take a general surgeon consultation in person, and it may help you. Precautions to be taken are take plenty of water, eat foods rich in fiber like green leafy vegetables, avoid mutton for some days, do regular physical activity. See to that your stool should not be hard, if it is hard, then the chance of recurrence of piles is more. If the stool is still hard with dietary measures and exercise, take a laxative like Duphalac syrup (Lactulose). I hope this response helps you.

What are the treatment options for Internal Hemorrhoids?

Query: Hello doctor, I could feel a lump near my anus from around 5th of December. About 3-4 days back it burst and I could see blood coming out while cleaning after passing stools.Now the bleeding has reduced, but I can still see blood oozing while I wipe the area with a tissue.I was diagnosed with i...  Read Full »

I am suffering from piles and infection around the anus. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from piles from nearly about a year. Suddenly yesterday, I felt pain around my anus, and I had 101 F fever. I saw that there is an infection around my anus.  Read Full »

I have anal itching, pain and bleeding. I am embarrassed. Please help.

Query: Hi,I am approaching you since I am concerned about a situation regarding which I am very embarrassed.  I am a 43 year old female. I am normally healthy. I am 178cm tall and I weigh 75kg.  Around 9-12 months ago, I started to suffer from anal itching. It is rather intense at night, after passing s...  Read Full »