Q. I have burning pins and needles and pain on various spots of my body. What is causing this?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

I have started getting random burning pins and needles and pain on various spots of my body. It is worse at night to the point it keeps me awake. I feel it in my shoulders, arms, torso, and legs. It is never all at once, and it comes and goes. What could be causing this?

Current medication details:

Tablet Protonix.

#

Your complaints of needle and pain sensation all over the body or different parts of the body do not fit in with paraesthesias. However, I understand that the random pins and needles are so troublesome that you cannot sleep. Also, having it all over the body in different or unexpected places in the body is unusual.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the body reacting to some medication, food, etc. But, still, the pain in these conditions is generally associated with redness and other skin changes, which you do not have, and the problem in this condition is itching rather than pain.

Another problem is anxiety and restlessness because of COVID isolation or some other work pressure.

I suggest a sedative tablet Zolpidem 12.5 mg in the night and tablet Phenofexadine (tablet Allegra) 120 mg twice a day.

|