Q. My red blood cell level is high. Please advise.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My CBC test showed RBC level as 7.1. Doctors told me that this value is high. The MCV is 56.8 and MCH is 15.4 which are low. I used to smoke when I did the first test. When I went for the test again after 2 months, I had quit smoking. Even then the result was the same. Please advise.

#

I have gone through your CBC (Complete Blood Count) reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Your RBC count is high and this condition is called as polycythemia.
  • Polycythemia is usually present in high altitude conditions, or in people with lung damage or smokers with lung damage.
  • Two months is a short time for the lungs to recover. That is the reason why the results remained the same even after two months after you had quit smoking.
  • However, additionally, you appear to have iron deficiency anemia.
  • Correction of iron deficiency is necessary and repeat test can be done after 3 months.
  • Reticulocyte count test after 15 days after start of treatment will confirm your body response to iron therapy. 
  • You need to quit smoking completely and also start iron therapy.

For further queries, consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|