Q. My right hip pops loudly. What could be the reason?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I am a 27 year old female. My weight is 135 lbs and height is 5'7". For the past two months, my right hip pops very loudly for at least once or twice a day when I sit on my knees and lean to my right. It hurts badly for a second and then the pain goes away. Though if it does not pop, my hip feels stiff. I have not been injured lately or broken any bones before. I am wondering what it possibly could be. I am a waitress and most days I run 8 or more hours without a break. Could that be the problem?

#

• Popping feeling or sound around a joint is often due to soft tissue rubbing over a bony prominence. They may or may not be painful.
  • Other cause can be from within the joint, and this is more significant as it may come from the joint moving abnormally or something that is catching on the joint.
  • The first thing you need to do is to try and avoid doing it and resist the temptation of releasing the joint; gradually you will fall out of the habit.
  • If it does not go away or remains painful, then see your doctor for a clinical exam and get an MRI.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|