Q. I have speech problems after suffering an assault on my head. How long will it be there?

Dr. Aida Quka

I am 20-year-old. I suffered an assault to my head nine months back and have not felt myself since that. I am still having some speech problems and other symptoms, as noted down below. I have been reading a lot online about this post-concussion syndrome as these symptoms are similar to the ones I have been experiencing. I wanted to know if language and communication problems such as speech problems which I am experiencing are symptoms of PCS (post-concussion syndrome)? And if so, how long will it take me to recover from them? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Speech disorders are a known symptom of post-concussion syndrome. But I would recommend performing a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to exclude any possible brain damage. I would also recommend checking thyroid hormone levels for possible imbalances. If all the above tests result normal, I suggest starting Sertraline or Fluvoxamine, coupled with Ginkgo Biloba and Magnesium supplements to help improve your situation. Physical activity (recreational sports, yoga, etc.) can help too. I hope this was helpful.

Do speech problems with post-concussion syndrome go away with time? How long do these things take to go? I am currently waiting to have an appointment with a neurologist, so hopefully, I will have a scan then. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Usually, the situation improves within some months. But, it also depends on the MRI results (if there is brain damage or not). In the case of brain damage, the outcome is not so favorable. Anyway, I would recommend following the tips mentioned above and discuss with your doctor the above-mentioned medications and supplements. I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further doubts.

|