Q. I am experiencing vomiting and dizziness after taking Telura. Should I continue taking PEP?

Dr. Sushma Shah

I had protected sex with a person who has regular sex with other guys. It was my first time, and after ejaculation, when I removed my penis, I could see that the condom was on her vagina. I could see the end of the condom on the outside. So I got freaked out, and also before that I did oral sex with her and it was not long, and I forgot there was also a small ulcer in my mouth which has been there for few days and the pain is not there on the ulcer itself, but it is there and not completely healed. So I rushed to a clinic, and I told that I had unprotected sex and wanted to get the PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) because I was so scared. After that, I got the tablet Telura, and after my first dose, I am experiencing vomiting and dizziness. I want to ask you if PEP is really necessary, or should I continue with the tablets?

#

Did the condom slip from your penis? There is no need for PEP for non healed ulcers in the mouth, but if the tip is out of the condom, you would need PEP. PEP has many side effects, but you could prevent by taking Pan D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) one in an empty stomach till you take Telura (Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate, Lamivudine and Efavirenz); that is until your symptoms are reduced. As per the description, you are in high-risk exposure. Do try Pan D that reduces side effects. And you can also use liquid Ulgel (Magaldrate, Simethicone and Oxetacaine) 10 ml after food or as per requirement without water for 30 minutes. You should not have anything for 30 minutes. You can easily cope up with Telura.

So do not worry.

Relax.

Then after finishing PEP go for a test at least 15 days back.

It will usually come non-reactive.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, when I withdrew my penis, the condom was not on me, but her vagina, but not all was inside her vagina. I could still see the opening end of the condom outside. Does this put me in a high-risk group? And also, I am a little confused about the Pan and the Ulgel. Can you please tell me the name of the medicine I can take with Telura to reduce the effects?

And I started taking Telura at 5 PM before food, so I was thinking about taking it after food at around 9 PM. Would it be possible?

Thanks.

#

Yes, you are now in high-risk exposure. You can take Pan D on an empty stomach. Ulgel liquid 10 ml after food or as you need. It is instant, so it can be taken four times a day. No problem. These medicines are available over-the-counter. Do not worry.

Relax.

Yet if you need anything more send a message, and I will answer.

What about the medicine doctor? Can I take Telura after food at around 9 PM? Yesterday it was taken at 5 PM. If I take before food, then I cannot eat food.

I have booked a phone call with you. I am really nervous right now.

#

I have tried to reduce the side effects of Telura. So after dinner take Ulgel without water then after 30 to 40 minutes take Telura. I hope I have cleared everything.

|