Q. Would it be fine to take prEP with one kidney?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

I had sexual intercourse with a girl last night and the condom broke. I went to get tested today and was told to come back in 10 days to check for HIV. I was suggested to take prEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) for HIV prevention. I did not mention to the doctor that I have one kidney as I did not know it affects the kidneys. My question is, would it be fine to use prEP considering that I have one kidney? Am I at a high infection risk? Thank you and looking forward to your reply.

#

I can understand your concern.

• If you were having intercourse with some unknown female and condom broke then in such case you are at risk and post-exposure prophylaxis is a good option to prevent the infection.
  • If you have one kidney, then that is not a big issue provided your renal function tests are in normal. Get blood urea and serum creatine done and if that comes normal, then no need to worry.
  • HIV RNA PCR is a test that can detect the infection as early as 7 to 10 days of exposure. The accuracy is about 99%. So, I would suggest you continue with prophylaxis and get the test done after a week.
  • You are at risk, but there is no need to panic. First of all, we are not sure about the status of the girl. We are just assuming and this is the basis of the prophylaxis treatment.
  • Get the test done at seven days and no need to worry. In most cases, it comes negative. Remain relaxed.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|