Q. I have 2. 9 cm of cervix length at 16 weeks. Do I need cerclage or bed rest now?

Dr. Sharmila Naik

I am 28 years old. I am 16 weeks pregnant now. My cervix is closed measuring 2.9 cm. I have heard that the length is short for me. What should be the average length of the cervix at 16 weeks? My doctor prescribed me Progesterone suppository. She has not advised me for bed rest or cerclage. But I know people who have done cerclage at 24 weeks with 3.2 cm of cervix length. I have a history of preterm delivery and a miscarriage before eight months back. Please advice.

#

Cervical length should be around 3.5 cm to 4 cm at 16 weeks. But some women do not have problems in pregnancy throughout the weeks even at 2.5 cm length. On ultrasound, we need to have a full bladder (means control of urination) to measure the exact length of the cervix. I presume that you were on a full bladder during the scan and also in the light of your preterm history, you must be having a shorter cervix. But there are other USG findings such as ballooning of lower segment of a uterus and open OS to take an emergency procedure of cerclage. Now cerclage is not practiced widely, and it is a thing of past. You need a bed rest till about seven months of gestation. Progesterone is a perfect one to be taken now and follow your gynecologist advice.

|