Q. Is it safe to fly when I am 23 weeks pregnant?

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I had my second anomaly scan at 18 weeks and the reports showed the impression that the placenta is at posterior wall mid and lower part grade I. The lower margin of the placenta is 3 cm away from internal os. Also, there is a breech presentation. What does it mean? The doctor told me to take bed rest and to avoid heavy work and sexual intercourse and keep an eye on any kind of vaginal bleeding. I am really tensed about the condition. Is it life threatening for my baby and me? What other precautions do I need to take? Should I go for another ultrasound after one month to check whether the placental position has improved or not? Also, I am a working woman and need to travel approx 40 km daily. What should I do? Also, I wanted to ask if I can fly at around 23 weeks.

#

Breech presentation at this gestational age has no significance. The placenta is 3 cm from os means that it is slightly in the lower segment.

No need to take bed rest. Just avoid jerky traveling. It is not life-threatening. There is a slightly increased risk of bleeding. It will ascend in future.

Get a repeat ultrasound few days prior to traveling. If everything is fine, then you can travel. A flight journey is safe in the second trimester.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|