Q. My girlfriend is seven days late following unprotected sex. Is she pregnant?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex on the last day of her period. She took a Plan B the next day. On the month-end, we had protected sex followed by unprotected sex with potential residual semen. It was brief without ejaculation. She is now seven days late. Yesterday she took a pregnancy test that was negative.

Is this negative test reliable? Given that Plan B delays ovulation, I am concerned that the second incident ten days ago could have caused pregnancy and gone undetected by yesterday's test.

Please advise.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. For getting pregnant the sperm have to be ejaculated inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg (availability of egg is subject to the ovulation pattern of the female). The fertilized egg then needs to be implanted in the uterus of the female. When all this happens successfully then a female is said to be pregnant. See the emergency contraceptive pills like plan B (Levonorgestrel) are hormone based and known to delay the periods by week to ten days. As explained above, conceiving is a complex process and based upon the details presented by you the unprotected intercourse on the month end may cause pregnancy although the possibility is less. If possible you can go for blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test or I request you to please take a urine pregnancy test with first urine of the day for accurate result. Do not drink too much fluid prior to your test. Adhere to all guidelines written on pregnancy test. I have a strong feeling based upon the details presented by you that you will not be pregnant and the delay is due to Plan B, but we need a blood hCG or correct urine pregnancy test report for management of your menstrual health and to rule out pregnancy with confidence. Please do not worry. I am always there for you.

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information. Please give me the correct height and weight so that I can further assist you if there is any other reason for delay in periods like PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), obesity etc. God bless.

Thank you for your response.

A urine test was taken six days late and was negative. Is that test reliable given the intercourse on the month-end? Or should we test again? She is under 80 kgs with no health conditions.

Thanks.

#

Six days post intercourse is a concise period as far as reliability of the test is concerned as hCG levels do not rise to adequately high levels for giving correct result if there is pregnancy. In your case, I am repeating that the possibility of pregnancy is very less, but we need to rule it out completely, which can be done after a reliable test, maybe around two weeks after intercourse. If not a problem, then go for a urine pregnancy test and blood hCG after three to four days. Also, does your partner has any other problem like PCOS, is she under stress, what is her height, is she on any medication? Any similar history of irregular or delayed period?

Do not worry based upon my assessment of the condition. I am hopeful that your partner should not be pregnant. Repeat the test as discussed, and please share the age of your partner as well.

God bless.

Thanks for your response.

Just to be clear, the test was done yesterday, nine days after intercourse, and was negative. Does that mean the test can be considered reliable?Intercourse occurred on the last day of the month, and the test was done six days late on her period. She is currently under stress. She is 27 years old and is approximately 5 ft 8 inches. How long should we wait for a re-test?

#

The urine pregnancy test done by you is generally not considered correct in such an early timeframe as the hCG level is less and undetectable in such early pregnancy. If not a problem, go for a blood hCG test, and if that is inconvenient, then go for a urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day. Once we rule out pregnancy completely, then I can prescribe for you for periods. And also, she is 27 years old, so please tell me if she has faced a similar delay in the past period. Does she have any acne, thinning hair, scalp, weight gain, etc., in the recent past? Please tell her to stay happy as stress leads to delay in period and almost 25 % of ladies worldwide experience a delay in the period due to stress.

Do not worry. She is most likely not pregnant. Please take the test as directed and share the outcome for further management of your menstrual health.

God bless.

|