Q. I ejaculate at an extremely swift pace. Please help.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Published on Apr 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

My problem is very common with statistically around 30% of men face, which is premature ejaculation. There is no erectile dysfunction. It is just that I discharge at an extremely swift pace, that is within 30 seconds to 2 minutes of sexual activity. I have tried all techniques like start stop, using a thicker condom, deep breaths, etc., but nothing worked. When I was a child, my prepuce was surgically removed due to some reason, which I assume might have increased the sensitivity. Anxiousness to perform could also be one of the reasons for quick discharge. Kindly suggest me a solution, be it a medicine, pill or lotion that could help me perform better. Please suggest something without hazardous side effects, because this medical glitch is giving invisible dents to my married life. Looking forward to get fruitful advice from your esteemed and erudite panel.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• Premature ejaculation is defined as ejaculation with minimal sexual stimulation, before the patient desires and before or within one minute of penetration.
  • Frequently, performance anxiety could be a cause of premature ejaculation. In that case, you can take deep breath for two minutes before sex. It will relax you enough.
  • If you still feel anxious, you can take tablet Alprazolam or tablet Clonazepam 0.5 mg half an hour before sexual activity.
  • Remind yourself that you are having sex for mutual pleasure and relaxation. It is not an ordeal or duty where you are supposed to be the performer. 

There are many ways to treat premature ejaculation if it is not possibly due to anxiety:

• The first technique is known as squeeze technique. In it, when you reach close to orgasm, you or your partner should squeeze on the ridge between the glans and the shaft of penis till the erection subsides. Then begin with your sexual activity once again. Repeat this a few times before you finally ejaculate. This will increase your time of ejaculation and also give you some voluntary control.
  • The second option is that you can use Lignocaine spray (Shotmax spray). Spray once on the glans penis 15 minutes before sexual activity. It will reduce the extra sensitivity of the glans to normal level. You can also use 2% or 4% Lignox jelly as the spray is not easily available.
  • You can also use long-lasting condoms like Durex Performa which have Benzocaine (local anesthetic agent) at its tip, which reduces the sensitivity of the glans penis.
  • The third option is that you can take tablet Dapoxetine 30 mg (brand name Dapox) one hour before sexual activity. It is a medicine specifically designed for premature ejaculation.

So, to summarize, if you tried various techniques and still experience premature ejaculation, then the three medical options are,

1. Taking Alprazolam (brand name Trika) or Clonazepam (Rivotril) 0.5 mg, half an hour before sexual activity.
  2. Apply Lignocaine spray or jelly 15 minutes before sex or use condoms which have Benzocaine on their inner tips.
  3. If these two do not help much then you need to take tablet Dapoxetine (brand name Dapox) 30 mg one hour before sexual activity.
  • These techniques are sufficient to treat majority cases of premature ejaculation.

Performance anxiety and extra sensitivity.

Premature ejaculation.

Follow up if you have any queries to a sexologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you for your priceless advice. I would just like to ask, since none of the other techniques have given fruitful results I am thinking of going for medication. Are the medicines Alprazolam, Clonazepam and Dapoxetine suggested by you 100% safe? Do they have any side effects?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

#

• Yes, the medicines are quite safe and do not have any major side effects.
  • Besides, you will be taking them only as and when required.
  • Also, lots of patients find that their premature ejaculation disappear or lessen considerably after some months and it is no longer needed to take medicines.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Mirap and Clonazepam prescribed for anxiety and depression, Is it fine to take?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am suffering from anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 15mg of Mirap at night and 0.50mg of Clonazepam twice daily. And Clonazepam has to be halved after every 10 days. Is it fine? Need a second opinion.  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

How to prevent pregnancy other than using condoms and pills?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to get married in four months. We want to know whether there is any other way to avoid pregnancy other than using condoms or taking pills. I have seen somewhere on the internet that if we do intercourse for some particular period, then pregnancy can be avoided. Is it true? If ...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now