Q. Why do I bleed for more than a month despite the fact I never had intercourse?

Dr. Nisha Marhatta

I am 22-years-old female. I am having light bleeding for more than a month. I never had any sexual intercourse.

Kindly help.

#

At your age, having a prolonged menstrual period is most likely due to some internal hormone upset. Since you have not provided me with details of the past, kindly answer me to understand your menstrual cycle better.

1) At what age you started getting periods?

2) How regular have they been?

3) Your present cycle, which is prolonged for more than a month, was it on time or delayed?

4) Have you ever been on any medication?

5) Do you have a previous history of polycystic ovarian syndrome?

I suggest you take the tablet of Tranexamic acid 500 mg once daily for three days, along with some multivitamin syrup and iron supplements.

Take care.

Thanks for the response.

I started menstruating around 15 years of age. I do not take any medications. My thyroid tests were normal. I do not have PCOS. I am taking iron supplements and vitamin supplements as they are low.

Thanks.

#

I suggest you to do ultrasound scan of your pelvis, complete blood counts, thyroid profile, and liver function tests after your bleeding stops. And revert with the reports.

|