Q. Why is there continuous period bleeding in a 11-year-old?

Dr. Richa Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 01, 2022

My daughter is 11 years old, her height is 5'2," and her weight is 45 kg. She started her periods eight months back. It was normal till two months back. After this, she got her periods twice with a gap of 10 days and a duration of 9 to 10 days. The same continued the next month also. The next month we had been to a gynecologist, and she asked us to do a couple of tests and scans, which came out normal. She has iron, vitamin B12, serum ferritin, and vitamin D deficiency, so she gave supplements for the same. Again we went to her around fifteen days later as the bleeding was still continuing. She was prescribed Trapic for three days, and the bleeding stopped, but it is back again. Today we went to the doctor. She has been prescribed Regestrone 5 mg thrice a day for a week, twice a day, and once a day for a week. Please advice. I am concerned about weight gain and other side effects.

#

I have gone through your history and understand your concern. As she is bleeding, we have to give progesterone to stop it because, at her age, most cycles are anovulatory, and deficiency of progesterone may cause bleeding. Do not worry much about weight gain.

Thank you so much for the advice.

Would she have to continue using progesterone for every cycle? Generally, for how long do people in similar cases have to take progesterone?

#

She can take it for five to six cycles. Usually, it will be helpful during her period.

|