Q. Will taking protein drinks for weight gain cause any health issues?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have started workout at home recently. I have got a pair of dumbells, a resistance band, and a skipping rope. Kindly suggest some good protein powder (good brands) for building body and lean muscle mass and which is safe and healthy. I am a vegetarian. I am prone to acne. I came to know that whey protein can damage kidneys. Is it so? In-plant protein, which one is good? What kind of exercises and diet can I incorporate to gain weight and lean muscle mass?

Kindly guide me.

#

MB (muscle blaze), Trikut, One life, etc., are some of the brands that have been noted and used. Make sure that you buy these from a reputable shop and make sure their container is sealed often with a hologram and serial number.

No, whey protein, if taken under supervision and in the recommended dose, will not harm your kidneys as it is a milk protein and hence natural. Only it is contaminated with steroids or from a poor source that may contain other chemicals will it be a risk. To gain weight, to need to have a wholesome diet including protein, fats, and carbohydrates, preferably complex carbohydrates, and avoid refined sugars.

Take vitamin D and B12 supplements, in addition. You need to avoid smoking and take alcohol in moderation. Sleep 7 to 8 hours a day with a good intake of nuts and exercise aerobic and weight train five times a week with weight training to increase muscle mass so a number of reps to 20 at moderate weights.

I hope this was helpful.

|