Q. I have bipolar II disorder, anxiety disorder, and agoraphobia. Is Paroxetine a good option?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2020

I'm looking and would like to discuss my treatment options for my conditions.

I've bipolar disorder II, social and generalised anxiety disorders, panic attacks and agoraphobia due to it.

In past, I used escitalopram, venlafaxine, fluoxetine, sertraline, lithium, depakote, quetiapine, risperidone, anxiolytics. Venlafaxine was effective but had to discontinue it due to high blood pressure it caused. Other treatments mentioned didn't work for me. Anxiolytics worked, but now i don't have such options to continue this treatment because I'm getting used to Tranxene.

Currently I'm taking Lamictal 200 mg and 10 mg olanzapine.

I am afraid to go out from my flat, I am constantly alarmed, nervous, anxious, can't eat because of constant lump in my throat. Anxiety is debilitating, I can't work outside my home. At work I get so anxious that I have to take some free days from work, if I don't do that, I vomit from this anxiety.

1) Can duloxetine be effective? Is it common that it can increase pulse and blood pressure as Venlafaxine did?
2) How long does it take for escitalopram to take effect?
3) Can prozac decrease anxiety?
4) Is paroxetine an good option for me?
#

thank you for taking help from psychiatrist.

you should continue medications on which you are stable at present.

1)duloxetine may be good option for you. it does not increases blood pressure.

2)tablet escitalopram takes around 4 weeks for full effect after starting medications.

3) yup,prozac can decrease anxiety but it belongs to same group as tablet escitalopram.

4) yup,paroxetine is good anti anxiety but tablet escitalopram is better than tablet paroxetine.

you should follow below advice which can help your anxiety.

1. Do exercises daily for 30 45 minutes like walking.
  2. Do meditation for 20 minutes daily.
  3. Eat healthy home cooked foods, avoid junk foods.
  4. Spend quality time with friends and family daily.
  5. Spend time for creative hobbies like read good books, write journals, painting, drawings, learn new skills or language or musical instruments.
  6. Take enough 7 8 hours sleep daily.
  7. Avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.
  8. Live your life,don't just spend it.
  9. Be bold and confident.

hope you get your answer. thank you

| 

My husband behaves weirdly in the bedroom. What is wrong with him?

Query: Hello doctor, I got married six months ago. My husband behaves weirdly in the bedroom. And he is using psychiatric medicine. Those are Limbitrol, Flutop 60, Prolol TR 40, Ventab plus from three months and Sildenafil too, but it is not effective.He keeps locking himself, avoids me, washing things re...  Read Full »

My anxiety disorder relapsed after I drank beer. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety and panic since five years. My GP had given Nexito forte and Veniz XR 37.5. And, I felt better and asked him to reduce the dosage two years ago. He stopped both and gave Nextio plus from then till date. I felt better. I did not smoke or drink while on treatment. 10 days ...  Read Full »

Please mention the drugs that affect libido.

Query: Hello doctor, I need your comments on the medications that affect libido. Mention some common drugs, such as antidepressants and birth control pills that can affect the sex drive.  Read Full »