Q. I have bipolar 2 and panic disorder. Is it normal for me to think that I have psychosis?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and panic disorder. I currently take Zoloft and Klonopin. My psychologist believes I am functioning normally, but sometimes I worry that I may be in psychosis, or displaying symptoms. My only concern is that recently, I have been having paranoid thoughts. Nothing extremely delusional, but sometimes I feel like my parents think I am crazy or that they are lying to me. I also had a paranoid thought that my boyfriend was lying to me. The thoughts do not happen very often, but is this normal for bipolar type 2?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It is common to have some paranoid thoughts, especially when you are feeling stressed, anxious, and feeling low in confidence. From the way you have described your symptoms, psychosis appears very unlikely. You can recognize the paranoid nature of your thinking, and your thoughts do not seem to have delusional thinking.

Your report says that you are functioning normally and so I think your psychologist is right. Continue with your psychological therapy to manage your mood and anxiety symptoms and challenge your distorted thinking pattern. I will recommend having regular follow-up with your prescribing doctor to monitor your mental state and seek review if you experience any new symptoms.

|