Q. Does psychotherapy help in trichotillomania?

Dr. Sathya Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I have been suffering from trichotillomania for about 10 years. Usually, when I get stressed or annoyed, I start pulling my hair. I used various home remedies and had ayurveda treatment too, but of no benefit. Currently, I am not on any sort of medication. I got to know that psychotherapy can help my condition. Is that a cost effective one? Please suggest.

#

• It is true that habit reversal training psychotherapy works very well for your condition (trichotillomania - urge to pull out one's own hair).
  • Considering all the emotional and physical impact that this condition has had on you, I think spending on therapy is more than justified.
  • Your emotional and physical well being also has a cost and it is worth much more.
  • A shortcut method that is partially effective is to start Fluoxetine 20 mg and gradually increasing the dose. Consult your specialist doctor, Discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|