Q. My right eye is red and puffy after wearing contact lenses under light. Why?

Dr. Souhad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 13, 2019

My right eye is red and puffy. It hurts when I blink by the top of my iris. It also tears up a lot when it hurts, and when under the light. I use contact lenses that I can use for a week straight, and it started on day three. When it started, it only hurt when I blinked, and the eye would tear up a bit, the next day it was red, puffy and it reacted to light. I immediately removed the contact lenses. What is wrong with my right eye?

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

First of all, I would like to tell you my point of view as an ophthalmologist in and against any contact lens that stays in the eye for more than 12 hours. The puffiness is most probably related to an allergic reaction that your eyes are experiencing, and you should discontinue using these contacts. The redness, the light sensitivity, and even the tearing are all signs of dry eye for which you should start using artificial tears at least four to six times daily, especially if you plan on using contact lenses again.

Regardless of what any manufacturer says, you should not sleep with your contact lenses, and I would advise you to use daily from now on. You can use artificial tears while wearing glasses.

Is my left eye red due to constant contact lens use?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 years old, and I wear contact lenses. I have never really taken them off. I would sleep with the contact lenses in my eyes and I have started wearing them since I was 13 years old. I would change them, but I would not take them off, and I would go days. My vision gets worse wh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be an infection, but one thing you must remember is contact lenses should ideally be used 8 to 10 hours a day. If you wear during sleep and for more than 10 hours a day, there is a possibility of the eyes developing infection and transparency of cornea getting d...  Read Full

Why did I have blurred vision after sleeping with my contact lenses on?

Query: Hi doctor, Without remembering to take off my contacts, I slept with them on. It was only for three and a half hours. These are yearly lenses, so they are pretty thick. They are FDA approved but doctors normally do not recommend them. I woke up with my vision having a white haze. As the time goes b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through what you have mentioned and feel that you do need an ophthalmologist appointment. The causes for such a foggy or hazy vision could be corneal edema. As you might already know the contact lenses do not permit good aeration of the cornea, this can c...  Read Full

Meprate 10 MG Tablet

Article Overview: Meprate is a progestin (a form of progesterone), which is used as a contraceptive pill. It inhibits ovulation by inhibiting LH surge and follicular development. Meprate is used to regularize the menstrual cycle as it has progestin, which is a form of the hormone progesterone.  Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
Pharmacologist

Overview: Meprate is a progestin (a form of progesterone), which is used as a contraceptive pill. It inhibits ovulation by inhibiting LH surge and follicular development. Meprate is used to regularize the menstrual cycle as it has progestin, which is a form of the hormone progesterone. Progesterone...  Read Article